Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Isn't that Blue Kayak a Little Short?


 I’ve always had 1 or 2 old white water kayaks in the garage.  Originally bought for winter pool rolling and used for family fun at the beach.   Before surf kayaks became popular, the older WW kayaks worked just fine.  I found some old pictures of us from 2002 when as a family we’d take the kids (aged 13 -15) out to Wrightsville Beach with a few other friends (Eric and Luanne, and John) for kayak surfing and boogie boarding.  It's so much fun looking back at these pictures of us all playing in the surf.



Thes blue kayak pictured above in my garage is my latest white water kayak, bought used this year with intentions to get on the rivers more.  I’ve got a few friends who enjoy white water kayaking and so I thought I’d just add some more variety to my kayaking.  All my real white water experience is from the early 80s when Paul introduced me to the sport, and I followed up for a few years with a few clinics and camps.  It wasn’t long before sea kayaking became my passion and white water all but forgotten.
 
Truth be told, I find I'm having a real love hate relationship with white water, I’m not really sure it’s going to amount to anything for me.  I just really hate the rocks, in and around the river, and I so love salt water. 

Not sure where this is going to go, but I'm signed up for a River Safety Class this weekend.  Might as well cover my bases.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Great memories!

Eric