Thursday, January 28, 2010

Single Blade

One of the things I'm most looking forward to with my new kayak, is that the rudder will allow me to simply "single blade" it. I fell in love with using the single blade with my Kruger Dreamcatcher.  Many will argue I'm not really canoeing, as my interest with distance paddling is more in using the marathon stroke and with a rudder.  I don't even know how to do a J-stroke, so I don't call it canoeing, I just call it single blading.  I've found that the single blade with rudder, offers an efficiency that reminds me why I also love my Greenland Paddle, smooth and efficient.

Justine Cugenven has a new CD coming out in March, "THIS IS CANOEING”, showcasing top single-blade paddlers in their pursuit of remote wilderness journeys or challenging white water.  Just watch this trailer and tell me this doesn't look like fun.

Hmmm, maybe my next foray into boat building should involve a canoe.

2 comments:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

awesome...

Kristen said...

My fav line: We've been doing this since the kids left home and dog died.