Monday, August 01, 2011

Next Weekend Escape

Sadly Paul’s father passed way, though thankfully only a few days after his stroke. The funeral was a great remembrance of how he touched other’s lives, and all he gave to our world. Life will be forever changed without him and he’ll be remembered and missed. Life still goes on, and with things finally slowing down, I’ve planned a last minute needed weekend escape.

Christine (WaterTribe member TwinSprit) and I have planned some much needed WaterTribe North Carolina Challenge (NCC) training. Routing Beaufort to Oriental via the Intercostal Waterway, then return via the Harlow canal. This trip will give us both some familiarity with this section of the NCC route, and some good fun. I did this trip with friends in 2009, the ICW is almost always interesting, an early supper in Oriental will be a great treat, and the Harlow canal is beautiful.  I’m hoping Alan (SOS) will drive up from his home in Vandemere with B&B Yachts to dine with us.

This trip will also be my longest in my new used QCC 600, and be great to help me figure out my outfitting needs for distance paddling in this kayak. I also still need to mount my Flat Earth Kayak Sail on it, but this trip with will be paddle training, and the narrow ICW and Harlow Canal is not conducive to much paddle sailing anyway.


Earlier this morning another friend and WaterTriber Scott (aka Lenscap) and I emailed abit.  He told me his summer had been about average, meaning he’s getting in about 100+ miles per month.  I felt so jealous reading that.  I used to paddle a couple of times weekly and always managed some good regular mileage.  Lately I haven't managed more than a planned weekend trip each month.  Hardly reason to complain, just not my normal.  I was starting to think this sounded like a great new goal for me (I’m so goal oriented).  Looking back through my logs I realized I'm actually getting in more distance than I had thought.  My monthly weekend trips are usually distance trips, and it seems I've actually managed 100 miles each month anyway.

So.... I feel much better now, and I'm realy looking forward to this trip and weekend away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im sorry to hear about the loss of a family member. Its never easy. Your family will be in our prayers. Hope you have some good paddling/training.

Danny

Anonymous said...

I hope you and family are well,
your new flat earth sail is in the post! its a full 1sqmeter, made out of the new tri laminate, a stiffer more responsive sail . you may need to strengthen up the deck a bit , runing sume glass from gunwall to gunwall under the deck wold be good
regards
Mick
Flat Earth Kayak Sails