Saturday, February 22, 2014

It's That Time of Year Again

I've been busy finishing some last minute preparations for the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge (EC) which begins next Saturday, March 1st.  KiwiBird and I will be driving down to Ft DeSoto early Thursday morning, for what's become an annual trek.  The blog has been sleeping for awhile, it's time to bring it back to life.

I’ve added last year’s teeth awards (shark and alligator) to my heavy WaterTribe necklace.  This will be my 11th EC including 2 Ultimate Florida Challenges (UFC),  I've now finished 10 and with 1 DNF half way due to infected chafing.

The kayak is in the living room getting a few minor modifications while I work out packing scenarios.

I like to alternate using my KrugerDreamcatcher and one of my sea kayaks.  This year I’ll be paddling my new Tiderace Xplore with the Flat EarthKayak Sail.

And I’m fighting a cold with everything I can find.

But I'll be there and ready when Chief yells "Go".

Unfortunately Paul (DancesWithSandyBottom) is unable to take time off from work this year, and will be home as my land contact, and reporting progress. Check back to this blog, the WaterTribe group on Facebook, and on the WaterTribe Forum.

Alan (SOS) will be racing in EC this year with a new partner Jake Kohl, an old friend from his Tybee500 days of cat racing.  Paul will be Alan's contact as well, and posting updates on Alan's Blog, check it out now to see his Class 5 Trimaran Mosquito.

And if your wondering what's it all about.  Just watch the 90 minute video below called "The Challenge" made by Warren Richey author of "Without A Paddle: Racing Twelve Hundred Miles Around Florida by Sea Kayak"; it explains it all.

No comments: