Tuesday, May 13, 2008

SOF Building Continues

With a bit more free time, I've put in some stitches on the SOF. The bow section is skinned, just need to deal with the point. I hope to finish the stern this weekend, quite a bit is done already. Cockpit could be sewn in weekend after next.

I'm thinking hard about the paint finish, and hope that doesn't have me agonizing for too long. Building this kayak has already taken too many years. I had originally planned to paint it black, now I'm leaning towards a brown with black paint used for some decorative artwork, for a more subtle look.

There is very little out there on the Internet regards artwork on SOFs, there is no tradition for it, yet I thought I would find more among recent builds. Although my SOF was made using traditional techniques, I'm feeling the need for my own hand print on it. Possibly a simple border around the deck using a native style pattern.

3 comments:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

Wow, Dawn... nice work...

Ginger Travis said...

You're going to be rollin', rollin', rollin' in that sweet boat.

Michael said...

Keep in mind these are lean, hunting machines, designed and built to put food in your tent. So nothing too shocking and scary in the way of paint colours... LOL

BTW the bow looks great!