Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Balanced Movement!!!


A very special thanks to Elizabeth Towe and all the folks at Balanced Movement Studios. I am so lucky to have received hour long personal core and strength training workouts 2-3 days a week with Elizabeth, twice weekly spin classes taught by Elizabeth and with a great group of cyclists, yoga classes with Jamie Powell (who is inspirational), and encouragement and support by all the staff at the studio.

Elizabeth has created a business with a unique and inviting environment. Not your typical gym, but a studio will all the equipment, features, and amenities one would have at a gym, plus many more creative and interesting tricks (equipment aids) of the trade. My weight training workouts were always double duty workouts, strengthening and working my core with each exercise, no matter what the target muscle was, the word "balanced" in the studios name is there for a reason.

The studios philosophy is that movement is the key to living healthier, living happier, and improving your quality of life. With that in mind, she has two goals: to build a movement community, and to make everyone a part of it. Working with clients is about developing a fitness relationship. Although I was already a workout addict, paddling, running, biking, and swimming, I have learned how important the bigger picture of overall strength and support is to my overall level of fitness and specific strength, and how to go about getting and maintaining this.

Towards this end, the studio offers individual personal training, regular classes (spinning, yoga, hooping, Pilate's, laughing mediation, and many other varied and interesting/unusual movement classes) and other specialized workshops. They also share space and consult with Balanced Movement Physical Therapy making for a total and complete health environment.

Today was my last sponsored session. I can't say enough about the benefits I have received having had this opportunity, not to mention the friendships I have made. After my race, I will continue to be a regular face at the studio. I encourage all to check out their website, there is something fun and interesting for everyone, all towards the goal of living a healthy and happy life.

After our session this morning, Elizabeth gave me a gift of the much desired and sought after Balanced Movement Studios t-shirt, and a card that had the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt, 'Do one thing everyday that scares you'. I am about to do just that, thanks Elizabeth!

No comments: