Friday, July 02, 2010

It's TOUR Time!

Tour de France that is, (or possibly Tour de Lance) starting Saturday July 3rd. This year’s Tour will be especially fun to follow as I intend it to be great motivation for me to get regularly biking again.


July is also RAGBRAI, the Register’s (as in Des Moines Register) Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, a seven-day bicycle ride across the state. RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest bicycle touring event in the world. So… I’ve exactly a year to train and prepare for the 2011 RAGBRAI ride. I’ll be riding and training with David (good friend and fellow paddler and WaterTriber named Floatsome). With Ironman Triathlons behind him now, this is a ride he has always wanted/planned to do; so it'll be us and 10,000 other riders :)

I’ve never really paddled (and certainly don’t sail) solely for fitness, those sports are relaxation and fun.  Even my paddling racing has been more cruising  Fitness was always running, biking, swimming, weight training, and yoga, and I'm not very dedicated to any right now.  But forced to give up the running (serious leg issues), I’ve needed some motivation to spend more time on the bike.  So RAGBRAI it is, should work nicely.

And of course the paddling never stops.   I was out on the lake very early yesterday morning for a paddle with a friend before work.  A beautiful morning, finally with some cooler temperatures.  Hoping this weather stays as I'll be paddling and camping at the lake this weekend with my paddling club.

1 comment:

Michael Lynskey said...

I thought that you'd surely be doing the Trans-Iowa Race instead (like Ragbrai but nonstop -- in a couple of days).